Monday, August 18, 2014

Deliver Us from Evil; Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Doors

I like to wait until a movie has been out of the theaters for a solid month before I write a review, so sue me.

Don't fucking look at me like that, Owl!

Our story follows Brooklyn detective Ralph Sarchie, the real life cop whose non-fiction autobiography this movie is vaguely based on, as he starts investigating a series of crime that involve three men who served in Iraq and came back...different. During his investigations he hooks up with a rogue ex-junkie exorcist who slowly convinces him to get back in touch with his lost faith and face the true evil at work.

The evil of graffiti.

For those not in the know this movie was directed by Scott Derrickson, that absolute rarest of creatures, the Christian horror director. He's a very hit or miss type of director for me. He helmed the excellent The Exorcism of Emily Rose, the absolutely abysmal Day the Earth Stood Still remake, and the terribly frustrating Sinister. I'm happy to say apparently he met his true calling, and that is possession films because this movie is great.

 And surprisingly gory.

One of the problems of making a possession film is that no matter what, people are going to invariable compare it to The Exorcist. Deliver Us from Evil (or DUFE from now on) is fully aware of this and uses that fact to it's advantage by following some similar beats. Both films mine Middle Eastern folklore and legend for their inspiration and both portray everything in a very realistic way, smart way.

For the most part.

The acting is excellent also,  even Joel McHale (mostly known for his comedy work in Community and his E! show The Soup) was totally believable as Officer Sarchie's knife-fighting partner, a character that could've easily been played too over the top. Eric Bana as our lead protagonist was wonderful also, though I was really impressed by Olivia Munn as his long-suffering wife. I also liked the animalistic way the actors portrayed the possessed characters.

There's also a certain aspect of the script I really love that you just don't see in movies often, and this is something a friend of mine pointed out to me originally, but the script is surprisingly Lovecraft-esque. Now obviously I'm not talking about fish people walking around and tentacles exploding from everywhere, I'm talking about the amount of research involved. Lovecraft stories predominately use academics as their protagonists and include a ton of scenes of characters just reading and studying, and I love that. I suppose Sinister did that too, just not to as good an effect as DUFE.

Really the only problem I have is everything just leads up to an exorcism scene that unfortunately just isn't very interesting or tense, which is weird considering how fucking amazing the exorcism scene in Emily Rose was. But that's a very minor complaint, and at least the gentleman possessed looks cool.


All in all, one of the best movies I've seen so far this year. I give Deliver Us from Evil 8 out of 10 angry lions.

1 comment: